MULTI-TASKING,HELP OR HINDER
RSS

Recent Posts

WHAT ARE YOU GIVING THIS CHRISTMAS?
RESPECT
KIOSKS AND LONELY PEOPLE
ARE INDEPENDENT BOOKSTORES DYING?
A NEW BABY ARRIVES!

Categories

READING
powered by

My Blog

MULTI-TASKING,HELP OR HINDER

March 1, 2017

MULTI-TASKING, HELP OR HINDER?
By
Linda M. Penn

Walking and texting; driving and texting; homework and watching TV; cooking and helping the children with homework; listening to music and writing.  ARE YOU A SUCCESSFUL MULTI-TASKER?  AND HOW ABOUT YOUR CHILDREN?  Do they watch TV, text, and play a video game – ALL AT THE SAME TIME?  And probably when you ask them if they are doing their homework, they will answer, “yes.”

So…is it possible to concentrate successfully on several tasks at the same time?  I used to be able to fix supper, do laundry, help my kids with their homework, answer emails, grade papers, talk on the phone, and even manage to munch on a cookie.  However, now that I am retired, there is no way!

I recall complimenting a friend’s daughter on her “gift” of multi-tasking as she played an online game, texted with a friend, and supposedly completed homework.  I used to think multi-tasking was evidence of efficiency.

Guess what?  I recently read articles about multi-taskers who thought they were boosting their performances when actually they had reduced efficiency.  The research that supported the articles said that our brains can only focus on one thing at a time, and brains could even be damaged, developing “bad brain habits” with so much switching quickly from one focus to another.

Gee, I knew there was a reason I disliked trying to have a conversation with the grandkids when they were playing on their phones.  I was feeling “old and outdated” by their marginal attention to what I was saying.  I suppose their brains were just acting normally by staying focused on whatever important items happened to be on their phones.

Okay, can we all be a little more conscious of trying to concentrate on ONE thing at a time?  Particularly if I am a passenger in your car while you are texting!  Let’s somehow try to be good models for our kids.

I have to admit I am sitting on the couch writing this article, and trying to watch two programs on TV – all at the same time.  It is not working well.  My husband just came in and asked what were the scores of the basketball games I was supposed to be watching.   I responded with, “we were losing by four points, but that was awhile ago.  I have no idea what it is now.  And the other game, gee, too much to keep up with!”  (I had no kids or grandkids watching me at this time, so, was that alright?)

I promise I will try to do better!  As a matter of fact, it is two days later and I am now concentrating totally on finishing up this blog.

If this research about multi-tasking interests you, there are several websites that popped up after I typed in “Is multi-tasking good or bad for our brains?” Check them out!
(I wonder if I can get my husband to read them?  Do you think he would then start concentrating on what I am saying to him?  Just kidding, honey!)

Come back the first week of April.  Blog title:  “SPRING BREAK, THEN, IT’S THAT PESKY TESTING TIME!”

COPYRIGHT 2017 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED LINDA M. PENN

10 Comments to MULTI-TASKING,HELP OR HINDER:

Comments RSS
Brandon Gray on Saturday, April 15, 2017 3:24 AM
I am pleased to read what you are sharing here :)
Reply to comment

bestessays com au on Thursday, May 03, 2018 11:43 PM
I do not know if I can say that I am a successful multitasker and as a student it is natural for us to multitask things in order for us to be a productive student. Now I am thinking if I will stay as a multitasker or not. I admit it is very frustrating sometimes that you did not completely finish what you are doing. Multitasking makes me feel like ignoring my surroundings and staying focused on my tasks. After that, I feel very tired and hungry. And after I searched on the internet why not to multitask, I realized that I am killing myself and I will not repeat that.

do my assignment on Saturday, April 15, 2017 3:28 AM
I am sure you talked about the mother who working really hard and maintains the family environment so good and manageable. Mother is the one who can work continuously and do always multitask work. Your article is very entertaining and I loved it.
Reply to comment

myessayslab.com on Friday, August 11, 2017 10:27 AM
Multitasking is not always help. When you part your concentration on several things, the quality of the completed tasks is not the same as if you were doing all of the tasks separately.
Reply to comment

Do My Finance Homework on Thursday, June 07, 2018 11:12 PM
This Site And The Resources You Provide Is Really Nice Keep It Up.
Reply to comment

Assignment Help | HomeworkAustralia.com on Friday, June 08, 2018 1:21 AM
Good Way Of Telling, Good Post To Take Facts Regarding My Presentation Subject Matter, Which I Am Going To Deliver In My College
Reply to comment

cheap Audemars Piguet watches sale on Monday, July 16, 2018 2:34 AM
I like your writing style.
Reply to comment

Pauline Sanchez on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 9:19 AM
Amazing sharing, thanks for sharing with the online community.
Reply to comment

loegmrntdherid1 on Monday, November 19, 2018 11:59 PM
Excellently written article, if only all writtens offered the same level of content as you, the internet would be a much better place.
Reply to comment

Suzie Surjana, Tony Surjana, Johny Surjana and Ronny Suryana on Sunday, January 13, 2019 10:24 PM
rsama mereka.Setelah konser, saya memberi Maxim folder saya dengling 4 agen steel sheet pile distributor astm a283 c distributor pipa boiler distributor plat abrex 400 distributor plat asme516 grade70 distributor plat astm a285 c distributor plat astm516 70 distributor plat boiler distributor plat hb 400 distributor plat high strenght distributor plat high tensile sm490 yb Distributor plat kapal besi baja Distributor plat kapal besi baja undangan pernikahan klub bola Agen besi beton undangan pernikahan kalender Toko Wiremesh Distributor Pipa Besi baja Schedule sch 80 Distributor besi unp baja Supplier besi beton perwira Harga plat kapal besi baja Harga plat kapal besi baja undangan pernikahan cetak undangan pernikahan coklat Toko Besi Pipa Baja Schedule 80 Supplier Pipa Besi baja Schedule sch 80 Harga besi unp baja Supplier besi beton PAS Jual plat kapal besi baja Jual plat kapal besi baja Agen stainless steel www.pusatbesibaja.co.id undangan pernikahan arab Toko Besi Pipa Baja Schedule 40 Agen Pipa Besi baja Schedule sch 80 Jual besi unp baja Supplier besi beton master steel ms Supplier plat kapal besi baja Supplier plat kapal besi baja Agen atap spandek www.pusatbesibaja.com undangan pernikahan kalender Toko Pipa Besi Hitam Medium Toko Pipa Besi baja Schedule sch 80 Supplier besi unp baja Supplier besi beton ksty Toko plat kapal besi baja Toko plat kapal besi baja Agen baja ringan undangan pernikahan custom Toko Besi Wf Jual Pipa Besi baja Schedule sch 80 Toko besi unp baja Supplier besi beton krakatau steel Agen plat kapal besi baja Agen plat kapal besi baja Agen bondek Toko besi beton Sni Ulir Polos polos ulir undangan pernikahan klasik Toko Besi H beam Harga Pipa Besi baja Schedule sch 80 Agen besi unp baja Supplier besi beton jcac Pabrik plat kapal besi baja Pabrik plat kapal besi baja Agen Plat kapal besi baja bki krakatau steel Toko besi beton sii undangan pernikahan batik Toko Besi Beton Pabrik Pipa Besi baja Schedule sch 80 Pabrik besi unp baja Supplier besi beton interworld steel is Distributor besi siku baja Distributor besi siku baja Agen besi siku Agen besi Wf Baja undangan pernikahan www.sentrabesibaja.com Distributor Pipa Besi baja Distributor besi h beam baja Supplier besi beton gunung garuda
Reply to comment